Monday, July 28, 2008

WHEW!!!

Well, that was a close one. Thursday, Dena and I were going to go to my sisters house. When I got into Dena's car, I noticed one of those "we missed you" post it's from the Post Office. So I looked at it and it was for me regarding a certified letter. I don't know how many certified letters you all have received in your lives, but they are never good news. NEVER!
I had just heard that the person that traded me the truck for the Bronco had been arrested. I don't know all the details, nor do I want to bore all of you with them, but he was driving the Bronco when he was arrested. So while talking to my Dad I put two and two together and figured the certified letter had something to do with the Bronco. My guess, it was impounded and the person hadn't switched it into his name.
Okay, I know. You are thinking that I'm the dummy for not filing my release of interest form. And you're right. I'm the dummy. In Washington, the release of interest form is easy to remember because it's on the title. In Oregon it's not so easy. You have to either go into a DMV office or you have to go online. I think there may be one on the back of the registration too, but I didn't keep that.
Anyway, on Friday I got the letter and sure enough, it was from a towing company in Elk WA north of Spokane (sorry Dad, it was Elk, not Elm). The balance due at the bottom is $638.00 and rising. The daily cost is $39. I didn't know the Bronco took up that much space, but oh well, it's not really my place to tell them they are ripping people off. :-)
The date of the letter is July 14th so by my calculations the balance is up to $1,184.00 and rising. I reluctantly called the number on the bottom of the letter hoping to at least be able to stop the rising cost. I was ready to admit to being a dummy and be done with it. Sure, you can still auction it off, I don't want it. Anyway, I called their office and spoke to a very nice woman named Linda. She explained (in great detail I might add) how the guys brother had called claiming to have the title so she already knew it wasn't my rig anymore. She also said that because I live in Oregon she didn't want to fight out of state to get the money from me knowing that it wasn't my rig anymore. She's just going to hold on to it and auction it off for whatever she can get out of it and cut her losses on it. She did suggest that I file the release of interest form in the future if I should sell a car though.
For those of you in the Elk, WA area that may need towing service you should call R&B Towing South at 509-292-5075. They really are very nice, polite and professional. And, if you're looking for a spare vehicle, they have a 1989 Ford Bronco that is stronger than I ever gave it credit for that has a very strong rebuilt transmission in it. The action is August 31st at 12:00pm.

No comments: