Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The flood recedes

Apparently the reason the truck wouldn't start up again when we were stuck in the mountains a week ago was because the carburetor was flooded out. Sitting in the mountains for a week must have given it time for the carb to drain. From the looks of things it was draining out on the intake through the accellerator pump. Here's the kicker though, I got in it with a fresh battery and it fired right up. No, I'm not kidding. Turned the key for half a second and it fired. The truck was sitting at over a 50 degree angle for over a week and it simply fired right up. I can hear my father now: "Damn Chevy". :-)
A great deal of the snow had melted over the week between getting stuck and getting out. There was still a fair amount up there though. I blew the tire off the bead twice coming down and had to be pulled out of a couple of nasty spots. When I made it out of the deep stuff I looked under the front of my truck and there was snow packed in my suspension so much you couldn't see the suspension. Kept the engine nice and cool though.
So we got out of the snow and a couple of the other guys were taking goat trails off the main road. I walked up a hill to watch them try and articulate up a steep hill, with a "V" notch at the top. The thing that made it difficult was the tree running down the center of the "V" notch. Two of my buddies made it over it, and the third busted an axle. So we all sat around telling jokes and playing around while he pulled his front axle apart. He would have just driven home, but with all the broken pieces in the housing, he couldn't steer.
All in all it took about 11 hours to go up and get my truck down. Later that night I had the guys come over and we sat around the fire pit in the back yard drinking beer and listening to music.
In a few weeks I should have the truck back up and running the way it's supposed to be. I'm going to replace the carburetor rather than rebuild the POS that's on there. Then, we'll take it up and break it again. That's kind of the name of the game though. At least it's not my daily driver... :-)

No comments: