Monday, August 4, 2008

It's August already

Remembering back to when I was single it seems like time didn't go by as fast. I'm sure there are people out there that may disagree but it seems to me that time really does fly when you are having fun. And Dena and I do have a lot of fun.
This weekend we had my kids, just like we do on alternating weekends. And like clock work, my daughter got there and asked if we could have a BBQ and a marshmallow roast. The kids really love having the fire at night. It was the best $50 I ever spent. We have a few friends over, light a fire and sit in the yard talking about all sorts of different things.
This weekend was no different. We didn't end up having a BBQ, but around 8:00 Dena's parents came out and we lit the fire. Then a couple of other friends showed up. All in all it was nice and quiet, with the exception of the occasional dog barking (my dog is old and I think she barks because she hears voices in her head). Everyone else went home around 1:30am and I sat outside by the fire until almost 4am. At one point I fell asleep. It was so peaceful and quiet I couldn't help it. The next morning came way to early though. See I sent the kids to bed around 11:00, so they were ready to get up at 8. I, on the other hand, could have slept until... today. Oh well, it was still worth it. The kids love it. I think it makes them feel like they are part of the adult world. It's nice to share something we all enjoy.
The older I get, and the older my kids get the more I realize how short all of our time is together. It's the memories we form while we're together that will stay with us for our lives. I hope that I am able to provide my children with good memories. After all, they will eventually choose the home I go into...

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Sounds wonderful! I spent the weekend at my fiance's 20 yr reunion hearing stories from his old friends - think I would have fit in better around your fire though! You need to send me pictures of those kids of yours someday - I probably wouldn't recognize them anymore!