Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Holy cow! I need a goat!

All winter long I'm chomping at the bit to get back out into my yard. This past winter I had plans for the fire pit, where I was going to put our BBQ, a section on the side yard that needs grass planted, bushes that needed to be yanked out and replaced with smaller bushes, and quite a few other things. I did get the fire pit done, kind of. Oh, and I laid brick down for the bbq. Other than that, it's all I can do to keep it mowed and looking nice.
It really hasn't been a very hot summer for the most part, but there have been so many other things going on that I just don't seem to have the time. Where does it all go? It stays light later, and yet I don't seem to have enough daylight hours. Or maybe it's that I don't have enough energy. Yeah, that's it. I don't have enough energy.
I really should write down a list of everything I want to accomplish in the yard before fall. Things like yanking out the large cedar bushes surrounding my house. Cedars are great for shade, but lets be honest, they are ugly and they hide the beauty of the house. I tried trimming them, but being a rental house, no one before us has really taken care of them and they are so big now that they can't be trimmed down to an acceptable size. There are also two huge Yew "bushes" (they are supposed to be trees, but being that close to the house, they are only up to the roof line) that need to be yanked out. Next to each of the Yew's there are stumps from two other Yews that are starting to grow back. I would think if you whack a plant off at the feet, it should not be able to survive but these Yew's are not having any trouble. These particular bushes don't seem to offer any shade to the house so removing them is not even a slight consideration. I had been waiting to talk to the land lord about it, and he gave me the okay, and yet they still stand.
Again, back to the energy that I don't seem to have any of. It's not like I have a very draining job. I sit in a chair all day. You would think that I would be bursting at the seams with energy, but not so much. I think I'll start with a chain saw on the Cedars. I'll see what I can do to make them smaller. The Yew's are coming out. I'll take some before and after shots to show you all what Im talking about.
Well, better get back to work. It's sooooooo busy around here. Okay, maybe not.

1 comment:

The Buck's said...

It is amazing how fast time flies...and you're right...there aren't enough hours in the day!