Friday, August 29, 2008

Jeep, or Heap?

Some of you may know that I drive a Jeep Cherokee. I love my Jeep. For the last two and a half years it has been one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned and for that reason I will continue to buy Jeep products. Though I am picky about them. Has to be a 4.0L engine and a 5speed transmission. Jeeps had issues with using automatic transmissions that were weak and I tend to abuse the vehicle I drive.
Tuesday my little Cherokee decided it wanted to start leaking oil. I have had cars in the past that would leak oil. I once had a 1974 Plymouth Duster that would leak oil from different spots periodically. But all those oil leaks developed slowly over time. This one is fast, and came on within a few minutes. I left for lunch, went to my moms house and it was not leaking when I left there. When I got back to work, it was leaking. It's only leaking when it's running too, so I know it's not the drain plug. Wednesday I started the Jeep up, looked under the hood and saw a very steady drip coming out of an electrical plug. It's for the oil pressure sending unit which goes to the guage on the dash that tells you your oil pressure. So I pressed the little rubber grommet back in that had come out thinking that would solve it. Nope, still leaking. So I sealed it with some silicone. Nope, still leaking. At least the plug isn't leaking anymore... :-)
Now I get to go to the parts house and see if they can even get the oil pressure sending unit for my Jeep. Hopefully it won't be a dealer part. I'm actually less concerned about the sending unit as I am the plug that I siliconed together. If I have to replace that I'm really going to be upset. The wire from it goes into a cluster of about 15 different wires and I haven't had a chance to chase it down yet to find out how hard it's going to be to replace. I suppose I can always cut and splice the new plug in, but that will just not look good. It's all about appearance (says the man with a Forest Service Green Jeep Cherokee).
Oh well, at least my Cherokee doesn't have the other inheirent problems that some Cherokee owners have. Like oil building up in the air filter box, or electrical gremlins. Well, at least I don't have them YET!!!

No comments: