Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Personal view on political issue

Where I live there is a great deal of debate over migrant workers, and illegal immigration laws. I'm sure the same can be said all over the United States. It really bothers me to hear all the negative and racist comments that everyone has to say. One group of people will blame things on another group of people when really, it's not a certain groups fault that things are the way they are. It is not the fault of a Mexican migrant family that they are able to go to the Department of Health and Human Services and receive assistance for free. I mean, really think about it. If the government in Jamaca would pay you to live there... wouldn't you?
Another complaint I hear is that "they" (choose your minority) are coming to America uninvited and illegally. Really? That is your arguement? How about this: Inside the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty is a bronze tablet that is inscribed with the following poem by Emma Lazarus:
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your toried pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homelss, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

The idea that any one of us is somehow better than another because we were born on US soil seems a bit strange to me. At some point in the history of nearly every person in the United States, there is an ancestor that came here from another place. Even native american ancestors migrated here at some point in the past. So to say you are better than someone that migrated here weeks or months ago is just rediculous.

On the flip side of this coin I do see another somewhat rediculous thing happening though. Our government is giving benefits to the illegal alien as well as their families. This is the part of the story that is wrong to me. Let me explain my point of view on this.

The United States is in an economic shortfall to say the least. We are in trouble for our future generations financially as well as the current generation. And yet we are giving away money in the billions to welfare recipients that are illegally in this country. People that have no intention of becoming legalized citizens in this country, and that pay nothing into the system through taxes or otherwise, should not be given access to any Government Financial aid of any kind.

If the US government really wants to fix the immigration issues, they should probably look first at how much money they are giving out to keep people coming into America illegally. When you take the profit away, the problem will resolve itself. Or so it makes sense.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now. Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Amen, brother! I have nothing against any specific group, and I completely understand their desire to come to America - but become a legal citizen and a contributing member of our society, and we as a country need to quit providing them benefits we can't afford!

Unknown said...

I was just talking to my mom about this same thing Matty, and I feel just about the same as you. Its a tough issue, and this country was founded on immigration, people trying to make a better life and relief from oppression of one kind or another. We should welcome those coming here for whatever reason. But i can't help but be upset at those who come in illegally, use our resources, don't pay taxes, and then not even spending the money earned here, so that it goes back into our economy...and children starve here and remain uneducated, and have no heath care every day...I don't have a solution. But, something needs to be fixed. But I feel as you...what to do????